Are you getting ready to sell your Napa Valley or Sonoma house? If so, you’re probably wondering which repairs or improvements you should invest in to boost its value before putting it on the market. Not so fast! You might be surprised to learn that there are home improvements that do and don’t add value to your property, even in the luxury real estate market. Here’s what to know.
Realtor Recommended Pre-Listing Home Improvements
While there are any number of home improvements that add appeal to your wine country property, you should know that some projects could increase its selling price while others will not. From replacing the roof to updating a kitchen or bathroom, here are the most common improvements that rarely add value and what you should do instead.
- High-end kitchen appliances. Replacing your kitchen’s dated appliances with state-of-the-art models will make the room look great, but it doesn’t typically increase a home’s resale value, and you likely won’t recoup your investment. If you want to upgrade the kitchen before listing, repaint the cabinets, upgrade the lighting, or swap out fixtures and hardware instead.
- Replace the roof. If it’s not aged out, damaged, or leaking, there’s no need to replace your roof. Your money would be better spent on replacing an old garage door, which can yield a nearly 95% return on investment.
- Install a new HVAC system. Just like with a roof, there’s no need to invest in new heating and cooling units unless they’re past their optimum lifespan or not working correctly.
- Replace the front door. While a new entry door can add nice curb appeal, you might be able just to paint it. To make a great first impression, consider sprucing up your front yard’s landscaping by trimming back overgrowth and adding some new shrubs and perennials. And fresh mulch is an instant yard booster.
- Painting with bold colors. It can look fantastic, but don’t assume everyone shares your taste. The lowest cost improvement with the highest rates of return is giving your house’s interior a facelift with a neutral coat of paint that offers buyers a fresh, blank canvas to work from.
Talk to a Wine Country Realtor Today
When selling your home in the luxury real estate market, it’s important to consider whether making improvements or repairs will make a difference in your profit. At a minimum, consider repairing anything broken or worn out, such as light fixtures and windows. And then talk to one of the experienced real estate agents at St. Helena Real Estate to get guidance on whether further changes are necessary. You can contact us online today or call us at 707.967.9570.
We look forward to helping you get your home ready for sale!